30 Aug Low Code Development Platforms | Future of Business Apps
Low code development platforms are gaining huge popularity in tech-field these days. It is a strong enabler of digital transformation across many industries mainly due to the platform’s time-to-market advantage.
What is low code platform?
Low code is a method to develop web and mobile applications quickly with minimal coding. this helps skilled developers to deliver value quickly, reliable and securely. Developers can rely on low code by skipping through infrastructure, re-implementation, dependency and scalability factors. This would reduce development time and reduce errors and increases efficiency and quality of applications while deployment. Low code platforms effectively eliminate all these problematic aspects.
Benefits of using Low-code Platforms
Main benefits include:
- Fuelling Innovation: Tremendous value is linked with evolving technologies like AI, ML, Blockchain, IoT and the likes. Low code development methodology from Nuvento-Kony helps enterprises to redeem this value by making it accessible for end-users and developers with ease and speed. Creating functional prototypes gets easier and this gets scaled to bigger applications to transform digital world.
- Flexible and Scalable Deployment Capabilities: Low code platforms enables you to develop and release futuristic applications to cloud or on-premise environment using Docker or Kubernetes.
- Boost productivity & Agility: Low code platforms provide strong support to DevOps. These speeds up the deployment process. Once built and tested, code goes through a dependency check which ensures that none of the connected code is impacted negatively upon deployment. The entire code required for running the application gets deployed which includes Database, UI, and workflows.
Myths About Low Code Platforms
Low code platforms are the best choice when it comes to developing complex applications. Following are the myths surrounding low code platforms
- Low code platforms would replace Development Teams: Low code platforms rely on visual modelling tools. This is used to represent logic and translates the underlying code created by developers into easy to understand visual formats. Low code platforms are a strong enabler of innovative development and brings together cross-functional teams.
- Low code platforms cannot be used for building complex applications: Low code platforms are scalable enough to build complex apps for mobile, web and desktop. Low code platforms provide a single integrated secure platform that supports the entire application development lifecycle: design, build, deploy, manage and iterate.
- Low code platforms have the disadvantage of lock-in-effects: Excepting few low code platforms which has lock-in-effects, others provide independence in the sense that they create applications that utilize open source frameworks. They are compatible with any huge database, application servers or any cloud or on-premise environment.
- Low code platforms are limited by browsers: Low code platforms are compatible with any operating system like windows, mac or linux and most of the browsers which run on these OS. Browser independent low code platforms create applications which offer a wide array of features. These applications run on a variety of browsers with speed and efficiency.
Key Pros and Cons of Low code development.
Low code platforms provide enormous benefits to enterprise users in their search for modern applications. However there are some downsides for low code platforms. Let us discuss few pros and cons of Low code development as follows:
- Low code platforms are well-known for the speed and simplicity factor, they allow rapid development of web and mobile apps.
- Most of the low code platforms allow modular integration, means you can develop a lot of smaller applications which would work together in order to achieve a bigger goal. This is useful when you want to create a disruptive web/mobile app.
- Low code takes care of scalability issues. Also, you don’t have to worry about user interface screen sizes since optimization is close to accurate. Coding rules are also minimum and nothing much to bother.
- You get dependent on the low-code platform once you start using it. Most of the low code platforms are cloud based and has lock-in features. In future if you want to move to a bespoke/personalized solution it might turn out to be difficult and tedious.
- Sometimes low code platforms can become very complicated mainly because of the limited customization options available. When you need a specific feature, low code may act as rigid, then you are forced to build a custom code. This would increase the development time and cost because code integration is time consuming compared to a bespoke solution.
- Most of the low code platforms lack important functionalities. For example, some platforms are incapable to generate appropriate API connections, and this has negative impacts on the potential of low code.
- Though low code is famous to be used by non-developers, this is not copiously true. You still need to have some sort of programming knowledge to make complete use of low code capabilities especially when it comes to customization.
Things to remember while choosing a low code development platform
Low code is definitely going to be in the market, adoption is on the rise. Smaller providers and vendors who are unable to hire expensive developers are increasingly choosing low code platforms. Few things to remember while choosing low code development platform:
- Finest User-experience: UX is very critical, and each platform should be evaluated carefully. Fast and intuitive user interfaces are part of all the latest mobile devices. Apps developed using low code platforms should be tested for ensuring performance.
- Mobility: For apps to run well on mobile without much extra coding, the user interface should be designed and synced specifically for specific mobile types.
- Pre-built templates: App development gets faster when there are pre-built templates which would be starting point for your developers. If templates are carefully designed, it results in more reliable and secure applications.
- Visual Tools: Intuitive Visual tools which include drag and drop forms eases the work of your departments. Systems gets faster and approvals gets easier with the introduction of e-signatures and wizards which are interconnected.
- Cloud Deployment: Your data is safer in the cloud servers. Cloud vendors store your data securely in the cloud to make your business processes simpler. Each low-code development platform is available in the cloud and supports easy deployment of apps in your cloud.
- Customization & Connectivity: Customized apps created using low code platforms makes your users happier. You can setup your own authentication process. Connectivity can be established the specific database to retrieve data.
- Training and Support: On-demand training programs which get scheduled and delivered online are very crucial. This ensures your developers are self-sufficient and equipped to create apps with a differentiating factor. Customer support is another factor to ensure you get positive reviews for your created apps.
Future of low-code platforms
Simplicity is the key when it comes to making futuristic applications for the web and mobile, and low code is based on this principle of simplicity. This kind of market invites hectic competition and business leaders are all set to take this game to the next level. Businesses reap more success by leveraging Business-led, IT-led and Hybrid deployment models. These make no code platforms more flexible to meet different user requirements.
Get in touch to know more.